Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Royal Wedding


It was really great to be in England for the Royal Wedding! But you can't imagine how frustrating it was not having a proper kitchen to bake in or a living room to host a tea-party in! I managed to scrounge up some ingredients, a muffin tin and even some union jack napkins from the store across the street and make cupcakes for the office - the best I could do:


Vanilla sponge cakes with synthetic from-a-jar strawberry icing.


Thursday was also the other intern's last day, so we had a tea party! (except I think here it's just called 'drinking tea.') We discussed Kate's weight loss.


Friday I got up early to watch the wedding in my little room on BBC.com. I had to pull myself away from replays of the ceremony/balcony kisses to go to a garden party, equipped with my ring:


Sarah, from work, prepared an AMAZING and giant spread of English foodthings: scones with cream and jam, cucumber sandwiches (crusts removed), mini salmon salads on rye, 2 kinds of quiche, Pimm's and lemonade, Mint Julips ... all accented with bits of Kate and Wills paraphernalia she ordered online.


Her cupcakes were better:




Handmade bunting!


The garden:




Royal family masks (not pictured: Charles, the Queen, Prince Philip, Harry):




Girl dressed as huntsmen with stuffed fox:


A fellow from Ireland, who was possibly my favourite guest, demonstrating a commemorative Kate and Wills bell:


Dancing. In case this is not obvious (which it was not to me) I may need to point out that this guy is wrapped in a Mr. Men sheet (and that the Mr. Men books are from England).


So many great outfits. They told me to tell all of my Canadian friends that this is not what the English typically do/dress like, but I'd rather you all imagine it this way.


Couldn't have imagined a better way to celebrate - I'm so glad the English people around me decided to get so 'into' the wedding (ironically or otherwise).

2 comments:

  1. dying. sarah's the best. as are your fairy cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and is that a vanilla slice i see

    ReplyDelete