Saturday 7 May 2011

Ashton Court Estate

This place has been on my 'to-do' list since I arrived. It's giant old estate (used to belong to some family or other) just across the Clifton Suspension Bridge that has been converted into a public park, and DEER park. As in you can - in theory - picnic under a tree while deer roam around the grassy hills and provide you with atmosphere.



The entrance gate (one of them) is so huge that they rent parts of it out as apartments.


Acres and acres (no really, I'm not sure I can express how giant it is) of rolling hills and big, shady trees. There were families running around flying kites and picnicing and so many cute dogs (although people here only seem to own terriers and spaniels). It was easy to find my own secluded little spot, though.


The building itself isn't open to the public, but round the back they had a little courtyard with a stand outside serving Pimm's and lemonade and tea and treats (!!) and an ice-cream truck. Adorable.


Notice the absence of deer? I swear I walked every inch of that place - partially by accident, when I couldn't find my way out at one point - and I didn't see ONE deer. Maybe they're hiding in the forest making baby deer (it is springtime)? Anyway, here is what I was supposed to see. It was still very lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment