Sunday 17 April 2011

Weekend #2!



Saturday morning I met May (who is Kyra's friend and a director at the publishing company) in Clifton for brunch at the Primrose Cafe. This waffle was, in all honesty, one of the best things I have ever eaten. The sun even came out (again!) while we sipped on tea/orange juice and talked about books. Afterward I wandered down the hill back into town.


It's hard not to find adorable houses everywhere in Clifton - I'm really into some of the door 'hardware' / I think I may start collecting pictures of things like this bee knocker.

And this letter slot:


And this giant lion:


I stopped to see what a crowd of people were pointing at and spied some Banksy. Apparently some of the paint splatters are new and people were trying to decide if it was Banksy or 'vandalism.' Hard to tell (is that the point?? hehe).


(Banksy is from Bristol, FYI).


A tourist-y 'snap' of the cathedral in town:


This is inside the public library, which wasn't really as nice inside as it looked from the outside, but I liked the paint colour in the stairwells:


I seem to have established a 'favourite spot' downtown by the river , which is where I head when I need to sit down/organize myself


Some swans came to visit? I have no idea where they came from but I was sort of worried about them what with all the river boats coming in/out.



It was a nice touch, though, Bristol.

I found the Arnolfini art center/gallery; admission is free so I poked around a bit. I got really into these postcards by an artist, David Shrigley. I have no idea why I find them so funny:



The centre has a really great little cafe. The food looked delicccccious, but I was still full of best-waffle-ever, so I only ordered a cappuchino..






You can't tell from this picture, but the river is right behind me. I sat here and read for a while until a family with a million screaming children sat down. Children shouting at each other with tiny British accents are only marginally less annoying than regular children.


I headed back toward the bus and went to find St. Nicholas Markets, but found a silly car show a long the way. This picture is for Dad; there were a million vintage Fiats and Alfa Romeos and ???


When I finally found the markets, I found books! Look at this cute little stall:


Inside I found this: !


It's from 1933 and it's in terrible condition, but it has really nice full-colour plates and I really like the typesetting inside, and it was only £3. The pages are THICK, fluffy old paper and smell great.


And inside I found a little drawing of some jams.


The end.


5 comments:

  1. things i love the most in no particular order: bee knocker, waffle, jam drawings. and... you found David Shrigley! i feel like i've been remiss in not introducing you earlier, but it's kind of more great that you found / loved him yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and BRUNCH WITH MAY. so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love David Shrigley, he's so funny! I desire this potted cactus of his because it cracks me up: http://www.francescapia.com/artist-detail-photo-2-11-197-David-Shrigley.html

    I also adore the drawing of the jams and this whole travelogueblog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Children shouting at each other with tiny British accents are only marginally less annoying than regular children." - hahaha SO true! And they sound more intelligent as well..

    love Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...Buddah is carried off by ants...Buddah is returned by ants...of course I LOVE this one!
    Your photos are enchanting! And the food looks deadly good! Glad to see you are truly experiencing England to the fullest. Keep Blogging! xo Melissa Keating

    ReplyDelete