Tuesday 12 April 2011

Clifton, etc.

This is "The Mill" - the top floor is where my flat is (around the side, actually) and the two bottom floors belong to to the publishing company (mostly). It's quite handy being 30 seconds away from work in the mornings.



Sunday was another gorgeous day, so keeping in mind that the weather probably wouldn't last too much longer (it hasn't), I forced myself out and onto another bus to visit an area of Bristol called Clifton. Kyra had more or less sent me on a mission to find and have a drink at this place:


I came across it mostly by accident - butttt the terrace is part of a fancy-looking hotel and it was partially closed for a 'private function,' and otherwise completely packed. So instead I wandered around "Clifton Village." So many beautiful houses/buildings. I believe this is known as the 'nice' part of town.





Clifton Suspension Bridge (not very English-looking, I thought).


A castle! (No, a Camera Obscura)? I didn't go inside, but that's because I didn't realise there was a CAVE.

More apple blossoms.

I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around Clifton Village and looking at nice stone houses with Magnolia trees in the front yard. I want to live in this house and Mom-blog about it.


I had 'lunch' at the Arch House Deli. I ordered a charcuterie plate and a glass of wine. Not until AFTER I had paid did they inform me that I couldn't have my wine because it was Sunday and they didn't have a license to serve alcohol on Sundays. Damn the church! (Can I say that?) If anything should be accompanied by a glass of wine, it's fancy bits of meat with homemade chutney and little crackers! So it was sort of disappointing. But maybe I'll go back again on a non-Sunday, anddd maybe I'll also order less meat/more cheese.



This was only £3.95. IMAGINE eating this whole platter. Imagine it.


Cute wooden tables and chairs inside.

I sat myself under an umbrella and read for a while afterward (the doorstop!)

And then I walked by this adorable shop on my way back into town. So many good apartment-y things! Sad that I couldn't take any with me.


So that was my first weekend. I'm now in the process of settling in at the publishing company. Everyone is really, really nice and constantly offering to get me/each other cups of tea. I have a desk and a computer and a mug and an email account, and I am already starting to understand the value of orthopedic office chairs.

3 comments:

  1. Good wandering! Always go into things like camera obscuras that might have caves! You might never get another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay allie!!! haha it is adorable imagining you wandering the streets and being touristy with a shitty knee on cobble streets,
    i love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie! This is the cutest ever! Ahhh. I love imagining you wandering around picturesque English streets eating platters and reading books in parks.

    ReplyDelete