Thursday 9 June 2011

Copenhagen

My first day in Copenhagen Elaina and I took the obligatory canal tour, which was actually a really great way to see the city! I would have missed a lot of things (like the opera house and the library) if we'd skipped it, plus it was a great way to spend a rainy morning.

IMG_1504

We then headed into town for tea and berry crumble at the Royal Cafe (as in, Royal Copenhagen).

IMG_1526

IMG_1514

... and some window shopping in a giant design shop. I didn't make it to the official design museum, but this store was HUGE/probably sufficient.

IMG_1535

IMG_1537

Elaina and her Danish pals took me to Ruby, a fancy ($20 per drink fancy) cocktail bar full of leather sofas, fireplaces and books - it felt like sitting in someone's dark, cozy den.

IMG_1563

Coffee/tea and croissants the next morning at a little cafe near Elaina and Mark's. Scandinavians serve hot drinks in glasses! Why!

IMG_1592

So many bikes! Literally more bikes than cars, everywhere; the bike lanes are harder to cross than the main streets. I saw so many beautiful bikes go by with giant baskets full of flowers, groceries, dogs ...

IMG_1651

Everything looks like Playmobil! If there isss an ugly building in Copenhagen, I did not encounter it.

IMG_1678

Really good used book stores.

IMG_1697

An Indian cafe for mint tea and a delicious lunch.

IMG_1707

A day trip out to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art:

IMG_1633

A home-cooked Danish supper with Mark's brothers/family - so lovely:

IMG_1630

Some light reading: Kierkegaard in old Danish.

IMG_1703

Apricots!

IMG_1757

Nationalmuseet/ The National Museum of Denmark. SO great - I can't believe how many amazing museums are free to the public in Europe.

IMG_1820

A bench pic nic!

IMG_1876

The most beautiful church interior I've ever seen, at Vor Freslers Kirke.

IMG_1880

IMG_1908

We also walked through Christiania (no photography allowed!), ate cupcakes with some of Elaina's pals and visited Kierkegaard's grave. I want to go back!

And last but not least, my lovely hosts:

IMG_1910

Thank you thank you thank you to Elaina and Mark for making room for me, feeding me and even supplying me with a Copenhagen LonelyPlanet and several bus tickets. I can't wait to visit again!

2 comments: